Carlos Ramirez-Rosa is a lifelong Chicagoan who has worked to put our neighborhoods and working families first as a community organizer, congressional caseworker, and now Thirty-Fifth Ward Alderman.
As a community organizer with the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, Carlos worked to keep families safe from deportation and win President Obama’s historic executive action to fix immigration. As a congressional caseworker in the office of U.S. Congressman Luis Gutierrez, Carlos helped seniors, veterans, and families cut through government red tape and he streamlined the delivery of constituent services. As our Alderman, Carlos has promoted inclusion and transparency in all of his work, and worked to make sure city resources benefit local neighborhoods instead of big corporations.
Serving as our Thirty-Fifth Ward Alderman since May 2015, Carlos has led legislative efforts to win property tax relief for working class homeowners, paid sick leave for Chicago workers, equality for transgender people in public facilities, and accountability and transparency on municipal financial transactions. He is working to ensure Chicago is a city that welcomes and integrates immigrants, and he is fighting to return surplus TIF dollars to neighborhood public schools.
Carlos is the first openly gay Latino elected to the Chicago City Council. He is a proud product of our public schools, having received his high school diploma from Chicago's Whitney M. Young Magnet High School, and his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Read what others are saying about Carlos:
- The Nation - "This Chicago Politician Is Showing How To Govern From The Left" (2017)
- Mother Jones - "This Chicago Politician Is Ready to Resist Donald Trump's Deportation Fervor" (2017)
- Chicago Magazine - "Emerging Power Players: Carlos Ramirez-Rosa, The Organizer" (2017)
- Crain's Chicago Business - "20 in their 20s: Why Carlos Is Someone To Know" (2016)
- Chicago Tribune - "Chicago's youngest alderman is a Millennial, backs LGBT agenda - and isn't hanging with Rahm" (2015)
- DNAinfo Chicago - "Meet Carlos Ramirez-Rosa, the 26-Year-Old Who Stormed Onto City Council" (2015)